Florida Debtor
September 21, 2017, 09:08:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Florida Debtor - Now even better!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Put a "Security Freeze" on credit files at Equifax  (Read 3580 times)
Joey

View Profile
« on: September 08, 2006, 08:34:16 PM »

I think this is a great new benefit for residents in Florida:

A new law was passed a little over a month ago in Florida that gives residents the ability to make Equifax and the other two bureaus put a security freeze on your credit file.  Of course, they are trying to get the Federal Government to pass a new Federal law by the end of the year to end this new right provided to us in Florida and other states, so it is best to get the freeze put on now.  

This protects you from identity theft and keeps the bureaus from making money off you by selling your information.

The link below explains the freeze and has links to the 3 credit bureaus and to the actual law itself.

http://www.800helpfla.com/newsletter/2006/072006.html

Here is a portion of what is on the above link:

"A new tool is now available to Floridians to help combat identity theft. As of July 1, 2006, Florida residents have greater control over who accesses their credit by placing a “security freeze” on their credit files. With a security freeze, credit bureaus are unable to disclose your credit score, credit history or any other credit information without your permission. Your credit file would be off limits to potential lenders, insurers and even future employers.

To freeze your credit files, you must contact each of the three major credit bureaus/credit reporting agencies (Equifax, Experian and TransUnion) in writing by certified mail. Each of the three credit bureaus has their own policies and procedures for implementing a security freeze; however, Florida law (s.501.005, F.S.) places standards on their costs and requirements.

Each credit bureau may charge a fee of up to $10 to place, temporarily lift or remove a security freeze. "
Dragon

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2006, 10:55:34 AM »

Be careful on this. There may be a down side to it. Do your homework and research before implementing this matter, and think of how it can negatively impact you.  :?:
CrzyAmeriCan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2006, 01:42:35 PM »

This only keeps you and others from getting credit on your file. Everyone with PP still gets what they want.

Although in theory it might keep a CA from adding a record that isnt yours. Huh? just thought of that..... Cool
Dragon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2006, 03:30:38 PM »

I don't recall the down side but I do recall reading on one of the big 3's web site that there could be problems with employment checks, credit checks, etc. If I have time, I'll find them and post them...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: