Florida Debtor
January 22, 2018, 02:21:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Florida Debtor - Now even better!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: In FL.If a person walks away,lender sues,get judgement,can they garnish?  (Read 1722 times)
MotivationalSpeaker

View Profile
« on: September 07, 2010, 07:56:53 PM »

This was already posted at DB.But its a FL. specific query.
FlyingIFR gave me an answer and no dis-respect to him/her , but I am going to ask it here.
This was the answer
"
A Deficiency Balance after the sale of collateral is always an Unsecured debt, because the lender already sold the collateral."

My query continues.
IOW is a mortgage ,a unsecured debt ,after the lender gets back the prized property?
Would it then be a deficiency judgment (DJ)? So I guess the question is;
 Is  a DJ after the collateral is returned,then an unsecured debt ,just like a CC debt?
The person is not interested in short sale or working with the lender (too much bait and switch/hassle).
Ive read about the head of household (HOH)exception and basically the first 500-ish/week is exempt.
I have a decent grasp of what HOH is.
The house has no second , not adjustable and up to date on payments.
Just way underwater and my "friend" is itching to move.
So even if the creditor got a judgment , its not garnish-able?
Then subject to std. SOL just like CC debt?
An added wrinkle. Would it follow the judgee (if you will)to another state?

Thank you
Fighting the Good Fight in FL

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 02:38:56 PM »

IOW is a mortgage ,a unsecured debt ,after the lender gets back the prized property?

I would think so...but not the whole mortgage, just the amount still owed. Usually, a deed in liue of forclosure wipes the whole mortgage out, but not neccessarily. It will depend upon the deal you make with your lender.

Is  a DJ after the collateral is returned,then an unsecured debt ,just like a CC debt?

No. a Judgment is not the same as a debt, which has a SOL that judicial action must be taken witihn. A judgment is enforced by the courts and has a SOL of 20 years in Florida, and can be renewed continously...

So even if the creditor got a judgment , its not garnish-able?

That will depend upon the garnishee's situation. HOH and such...

An added wrinkle. Would it follow the judgee (if you will)to another state?

I do belive that judgments can be transfered, via the courts, to other states.

You need to understand the difference between owing a debt and the judgement. If the house sells for less than the mortgage, then the lender may or may not pursue a defeciency judgment through the courts. A DJ is not a garuantee for the lender but I am not knowledgable on the exact procedure they follow to get one.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: